The ongoing impact of the COVID-19 pandemic in the UK and resulting restrictions and infection control measures means that additional space and time are still required to run a socially distanced PACES examination. Therefore, by necessity, we reluctantly have to continue to prioritise PACES places for UK trainees according to their need for training/career progression.
Whilst we are still not able to accommodate applicants who are not currently residing in the UK, we continue to work hard to maximise the number of spaces available to ensure trainees will not be prevented from progressing through critical career points because they have been unable to obtain a PACES place.
For the 2022/1 diet we will be including the following additional groups:
- trainees who completed CMT before 2017, and
- those who have not completed a recognised training programme but who are participating in recruitment for Higher Specialty Training in 2022 via the alternative certificate* (candidates applying in this group should follow the guidance below for submitting their evidence to their chosen college of entry).
There will be four broad prioritisation categories (see below) for allocating trainees living and working in the UK to available PACES places based on their current training grade and plans for Higher Specialty Training.
Prioritisation categories for allocation of candidates to PACES places in UK centres in the 2022.1 diet:
- Currently in IMY3/ST3/ACCS CT3
- 2021/3 candidates in UK centres who were cancelled due to a COVID related reason
- IMY2/ACCS CT2 with a pass in Part 2 written at time of application
- Completed CMT at any time with a pass in Part 2 written at time of application
- IMY2/ACCS CT2 without a pass in Part 2 written at time of application
- Completed CMT at any time without a pass in Part 2 written at time of application
Category 2 c
- Those currently in the UK, who are not in a recognised training post, but who are applying for Higher Specialty Training in 2022 with an alternative certificate*. Candidates will be required to provide evidence of their alternative certificate /official confirmation of application by sending this via email to their chosen college of entry before they are allocated a place in the examination.
All other UK based applicants.
* see here for full details of the requirements for alternative certificate.