The ongoing impact of the COVID-19 pandemic in the UK and resulting restrictions and infection control measures means that additional space and time are still required to run a socially distanced PACES examination. Therefore, by necessity we have to continue to prioritise PACES places for UK trainees according to their need for training/career progression. There will be four prioritisation categories (details below) for allocating trainees living and working in the UK to available PACES places based on their training grade and plans for Higher Specialty Training.
Applicants for the 2021/3 diet should indicate the training grade/year they expect to be in as of end September 2021. For example, an applicant currently in IMY2, but due to enter IMY3 in August 2021 should enter IMY3 on their application. Prioritisation categories for allocation of candidates to PACES places in UK centres in the 2021/3diet:
- Currently in IMY3/ST3/ACCS CT3
- 2021/2 candidates in UK centres who were cancelled due to a COVID related reason
- Category 2a applicants in 2021/2 who did not get a place
- Candidates who accepted a provisional space in 2021/2 that was withdrawn.
Category 2 a
- IMY2/ACCS CT2 with a pass in Part 2 written at time of application
- CT2 (since 2017) with a pass in Part 2 written at time of application
Category 2 b
- IMY2/ACCS CT2 without a pass in Part 2 written at time of application
- CT2 (since 2017) without a pass in Part 2 written at time of application
- IMY1/ACCS CT1
- All other UK based applicants.
Unfortunately, we will not be able to accommodate applicants who are not currently residing in the UK.
We continue to work hard to maximise the number of spaces available, and would like to reassure trainees that they will not be prevented from progressing through critical career points because they have been unable to obtain a PACES place, as the derogation agreed by the GMC to remove full MRCP(UK) as a requirement for entry into Higher Specialty Training will remain in 2021.
Information on application dates for the 2021/3 diet can be found here.