Specialty Certificate Examination in Endocrinology and Diabetes
|Exam date||UK registration period||Pearson VUE UK centre booking window||International registration period||Results release||Certificates posted|
|7 June 2017||15 February - 10 May 2017||15 March - 11 May 2017||15 February - 15 March 2017||
3 July 2017
|8 weeks after results are released|
|6 June 2018||14 February - 9 May 2018||14 March - 10 May 2018||14 February - 14 March 2018||4 weeks after exam date||8 weeks after results are released|
The Specialty Certificate Examination (SCE) in Endocrinology and Diabetes is delivered once a year.
There are no entry requirements for the SCE in Endocrinology and Diabetes, although candidates in UK training would normally take the SCE in Endocrinology and Diabetes in their penultimate year of training.
Qualification: Certificate in Endocrinology and Diabetes
Trainees who hold MRCP(UK), have gained the Certificate in Endocrinology and Diabetes and who are recommended for a CCT will be entitled to apply for the postnominal MRCP(UK) (Endocrinology and Diabetes). For further details please see the FAQs.
Curriculum and blueprint
The Specialty Training Curriculum for Endocrinology and Diabetes Mellitus is published by the Joint Royal Colleges of Physicians Training Board (JRCPTB).
The examination is made up of questions covering the whole curriculum, selected by a predetermined blueprint:
Resources for trainees
Preparation for the SCE requires a wide breadth of knowledge around the curriculum and should involve reading of textbooks, journals and guidelines. Experience of the MRCP(UK) examination provides an excellent background to the format of the examination.
Suggested sources and reading are listed below:
- Oxford Handbook of Endocrinology and Diabetes 2nd Edition 2009 (H Turner, J Wass)
- Oxford Textbook of Endocrinology and Diabetes 2nd Edition 2011 (J Wass, P Stewart)
- Williams Textbook of Endocrinology 12th Edition 2011 (S Melmed et al)
- Textbook of Diabetes 4th Edition 2010 (R Holt et al)
- Clinical Endocrinology
- Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism
- European Journal of Endocrinology
- Nature Reviews Endocrinology
- Diabetic Medicine
- Diabetes Care
- British Medical Journal
- New England Journal of Medicine
- National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE)
- Scottish Intercollegiate Guidelines Network (SIGN)
- British Thyroid Association (BTA)
- Endocrine Society Clinical Practice Guidelines
- Joint British Diabetes Society Guidelines
- International Association of the Diabetes and Pregnancy Study Groups
- Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) Guidelines
- Association of British Clinical Diabetologists
- Diabetes UK
- Society for Endocrinology - Clinical Update Meeting and BES Meeting
- European Society of Endocrinology (ESE)
- European Association for the Study of Diabetes (EASD)
- US Endocrine Society
- American Diabetes Association (ADA)
The questions are in ‘best of five’ multiple choice format. This format, in addition to testing core knowledge and comprehension, also assesses the ability to interpret information and to solve clinical problems. There will be five options – one correct answer and four alternatives to the correct answer. The four distractors will be closely related to the preferred option but less correct, therefore acting as plausible alternatives.
These questions give an indication of the type of question you can expect in the exam. Please take part in this interactive sample test.
The selected metrics report provides details about the previous year's examination. All the statistics are intended to help candidates to be more informed and better prepared for the examination. The reports are also available to other stakeholders (e.g. deaneries’ representatives, board members, trainees’ supervisors) who would like to find out more about candidates’ performance in order to be able to make informed decisions about training programmes or examination standards.
Click here to get alerts on the opening of application periods as well as info/tips on revision/preparation resources and more!