You can support us with the production of Station 2 and 4 scenarios for the PACES exam by becoming a member of the Scenario Writing Group (SWG).
The SWG meets up to twice a year and members are required to submit three scenarios for either station 2 or station 4 ahead of each meeting. The scenarios are then peer reviewed in small groups so members have an opportunity to give and receive feedback.
Following the meetings the new scenarios are reviewed by the SWG Chair and members of the Scenario Editorial Committee (SEC); appropriate scenarios are added to the bank for use in future exams. If a scenario is not ready to add to the bank, the SWG member will be given feedback to enable them to make revisions and develop their writing skills. All members will receive training and guidance.
Responsibilities of an SWG member
- generating station 2 and 4 scenarios as directed by the Chair of the SWG and the SEC.
- ensuring that the academic objectives are met.
- assisting in any review of the writing process.
Consultant members of the SWG are appointed for five years, and trainee members are appointed for three years (or until completion of specialist training or appointment as a Consultant).
The peer review process gives members the opportunity to share practice with physicians from different specialties, and at different stages in their careers which is a highly rewarding experience. The meetings provide a valuable chance to network and reflect on your clinical experiences. Members can share their learning and expertise, setting the standard for future physicians. All SWG members are awarded CPD credits for attendance at meetings.
To become a member of the SWG you need to:
- Hold MRCP(UK) (desirable)
- Be a Collegiate Member or Fellow in good standing of one of the Royal College of Physicians of the UK
- Be GMC registered with a licence to practise and in good standing
- Participate in revalidation, including annual appraisal in current post, and adhere to CPD requirements (UK only)
- Have undergone equality and diversity training within the past three years (UK only)
- Attend the meetings in Cheshire or London and take on work between these meetings
Examples of station 2 and 4 scenarios can be viewed on the sample scenario section.
All personal expenses to cover the costs of attending SWG meetings will be met in line with the Federation expenses policy.
How to apply
All vacancies for the SWG will be advertised here. If you wish to submit an expression of interest when there are no vacancies available please feel free to email the Scenarios Co-ordinator, at email@example.com